Plant City Paternity Lawyer

Call Us Now (813) 759-1224

Parental Rights of Unmarried Parents

Unmarried parents have the same legal obligations to each other and their children as married parents, except that the actual paternity of the children will have to be established before a court will decide issues of child custody, visitation and support.

Establishing Paternity

Paternity may be established in a number of ways one of which is the filing of a petition to determine paternity in the circuit court much like the filing of a petition for dissolution of marriage. Like divorce cases, paternity cases can be contested or uncontested depending on whether the parents can agree on a parenting plan, time sharing and child support.

Plant City Paternity Attorneys

If all of the parenting and support issues are uncontested, the parents can sign a paternity settlement agreement that spells out their agreement as to parenting, time sharing and support and have a judgment of paternity entered adopting their uncontested paternity agreement.

Paternity Testing

Paternity testing is available by Court order in a paternity case. If there is legitimate doubt as to paternity, a motion for testing can be filed in a paternity action. Testing may not be available if paternity has been established by a written acknowledgement of paternity by the father, such as signing papers to be placed on the birth certificate.

We are Ready to Help

As with all legal obligations, it is always best to have experienced attorneys Johnnie Byrd and David Barnhill at your side as you negotiate and settle your paternity case. The Plant City paternity attorneys at Byrd & Barnhill are experienced in helping clients successfully settle paternity cases. Give them a call at (813) 759-1224 for a consultation.

Download Forms Now

If you are planning to come in for a consultation about filing for divorce, please take a look at the forms on this website, specifically the client intake sheet. The information necessary to start the process will be captured if you download and fill out the intake sheet. Also, the financial affidavit is required to be completed. Depending on whether you earn more or less than $50,000 per year, you should download and complete a draft of your financial affidavit. Also, review the other documents, such as the sample marital settlement agreement, so that you can get an idea of the type of decisions that go into a dissolution of marriage proceeding. Please feel free to call us if you have any questions. Click HERE to download forms.

Plant City Lawyers

Johnnie Byrd and David Barnhill

Johnnie and David have experience in family law, criminal defense, probate and guardianship, auto accident law and business and construction litigation. Read more about Johnnie Byrd and David Barnhill.

Personal Attention

You will work directly with the attorney handling your case and your calls and emails will be returned promptly so that you are always informed about the status of your case.

Stacks Image 415

Reasonable Fees

Our commitment is to charge you a fair and reasonable legal fee; however, we cannot quote an exact legal fee until we have evaluated your case. After a consultation by phone or in person, you will know where you stand legally and what it will cost to hire us.


Johnnie Byrd and David Barnhill have 50 years combined experience representing clients in Hillsborough, Polk, Pinellas, and Pasco Counties. We help clients resolve matters involving auto accidents, family law, probate, guardianship, DUI, criminal and business law.


As your lawyer, we will be dedicated to helping you find a solution to your legal problems - and above all, to having the peace of mind that your legal issue is being handled by an experienced and knowledgeable attorney at law.

Free Parking
Conveniently located just two blocks from the Plant City Courthouse
206 North Collins Street
Plant City, Florida 33563
Telephone (813) 759-1224
Fax (813) 759-1101